On October 1, 2011, I left behind my life in New York City to travel around the world for one year. That one year quickly became two years, then three, and so on. I’m still traveling full time and plan to do so for as long as I can. This page is a summary of the places I’ve visited, things I’ve done, and a few (useless) stats in the past 7+ years.
So Far I've Been:
2788 days on the road!
Where I've been?
Below is a map of the countries I’ve visited so far. All the countries in blue were visited during the Round the World (RTW); the countries in green I visited before the RTW, and the countries in red I’m expecting to visit in the near future.
Where I’ve Been
Every flight, bus, ferry, and car ride I’ve taken in the last seven years on the road.
Progress Visiting Every UN Recognized Nation
a few extra stats!
- 119 countries visited on the RTW (Total of 141 countries and territories visited, but only 128 UN Recognized)
- 12 missed flights
- 86 overnight or long distance train and buses
- 4 overnight ferries
- 3 road trips
- 1 night on a cruise
- 8 sunglasses lost or broken
- 5 consecutive days… Longest run without showering. (Mongol Rally)
- 2 backpacks replaced
- 3 “illegal” border crossings. (Guatemala, Namibia, Paraguay)
- 1 iPod stolen
- 2 iPhone 5 stolen (ouch!)
- 1 drowned iPhone 6s (sigh…)
- 3 hospital visits (Italy, Brazil, Thailand)
- 2 times mugged (1 at knifepoint, 1 at gunpoint)
- Highest point: Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Lowest point: Dead Sea, Israel
- Northernmost point: Hornbjarg, Iceland
- Southernmost point: Ushuaia, Argentina
- Most countries in one day: 5 (U.K., France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany… during the Mongol Rally)
- Cheapest country: India
- Most expensive country: Iceland
- Favorite destinations: Jordan, Belize, Tanzania, Iceland, New Zealand, Thailand
- Least favorite destinations: India, Ukraine, Slovenia
- Money spent in three years of travel: $60,761 Read this post on how I did it.
Stats last updated: January 12, 2019 (except for the days on the road counter, which updates automatically)
Some of my Favorite Experiences...
- Hiked to the top of Kilimanjaro
- Adopted an Elephant!
- Fell in love with Zanzibar
- Also fell in love with Caye Caulker
- Walked with LIONS and CHEETAHS!!
- Saw a real Maya skeleton inside a cave in Belize
- Went diving in the Blue Hole
- Slept at a Bedouin camp at Wadi Rum
- Visited Petra at Night
- Went to Hell… mwahaha
- Saw the sunrise at Angkor Wat
- Celebrated my birthday surrounded by dead people
- Went jumping off swing ropes with the Maasai
- Enjoyed the thin beaches at Koh Nang Yuan
- Was somehow “rescued” from my misery in Uganda
- Did a road trip across the Himalayas!!
- Got assaulted at knifepoint in Fes, Morocco
- Got held at gunpoint in Kyrgyzstan
- Did the Mongol Rally!
- Had a car accident in Russia
- Got lost in the Gobi Desert
- Was beyond impressed by Bagan, Myanmar
- Reached the milestone of 1,000 days traveling!
- Went to Easter Island!
- Went to Galapagos!
- Survived Death Road
- and much more I’m still looking forward to writing…