THE ROUND THE WORLD TRIP
Back in 2011, I left behind my life in New York City to travel around the world for one year. That one year quickly became two years, then three, and so on. I’m still traveling full time and plan to do so for as long as I can. This page is a quick summary of the places I’ve visited, things I’ve done, and a few (useless) stats from my trip.
Where I’ve been?!
Below is a map of the countries I’ve visited so far. All the countries in blue were visited during the Round the World (RTW); the countries in green I visited before the RTW, and the countries in red I’m expecting to visit in the near future.
Where I've Been
Every flight, bus, ferry, and car ride I’ve taken in the first 2000 days on the road.
RTW quick stats!!
- 2399 days on the road! Adventure started October 1, 2011.
- 139,000+ pictures taken
- 102 countries visited on the RTW (Total of 123 countries and territories visited, but only 111 UN Recognized)
- 275 flights taken
- 423,132 miles flown or 991 hours flown
- 139 airports visited
- 12 missed flights:
- Milan, Italy to Bucharest, Romania – Arrived late
- Milan, Italy to Tunis, Tunisia – Too sick to travel
- Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – Change of plans
- Bangkok, Thailand to Chiang Mai, Thailand – Change of plans
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil to Foz do Iguazu, Brazil – Arrived at the airport a day late!
- Rurrenabaque, Bolivia to La Paz, Bolivia – Arrived late
- Havana, Cuba to Cancun, Mexico – Change of plans
- Georgetown, Guyana to Oragenstad, Aruba – Emergency travel
- Oragenstad, Aruba to San Juan, Puerto Rico – Emergency travel
- Dili, Timor-Leste to Denpasar, Indonesia – Change of plans
- San Juan, Puerto Rico to Sao Paulo, Brazil – Missed on Purpose
- Reunion, France to Mahe, Seychelles – Change of Plans
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to London, UK – Change of Plans
- Edinburgh, UK to London, UK – Change of Plans
- New York, USA to San Juan, PR – Change of Plans
- 86 overnight or long distance train and buses
- 4 overnight ferries
- 3 road trips
- 1 night on a cruise
- 37 Visas
- 326 Passport stamps
- 7 sunglasses lost or broken
- 5 consecutive days… Longest run without showering. (Mongol Rally)
- 2 backpacks replaced
- 3 “illegal” border crossings. (Guatemala, Namibia, Paraguay)
- 1 iPod stolen
- 2 iPhone 5 stolen (ouch!)
- 1 drowned iPhone 6s (sigh)
- 3 hospital visits (Italy, Brazil, Thailand)
- 2 times mugged (1 at knifepoint, 1 at gunpoint)
- Highest point: Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
- Lowest point: Dead Sea, Israel
- Northernmost point: Hornbjarg, Iceland
- Southernmost point: Ushuaia, Argentina
- Most countries in one day: 5 (U.K., France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany… during the Mongol Rally)
- Cheapest country: India
- Most expensive country: Iceland
- Favorite destinations: Jordan, Belize, Tanzania, Iceland, New Zealand, Thailand
- Least favorite destinations: India, Ukraine, Slovenia
- Money spent in three years of travel: $60,761 Read this post on how I did it.
Some of my favorite experiences…
- Hiked to the top of Kilimanjaro
- Adopted an Elephant!
- Fell in love with Zanzibar
- Also fell in love with Caye Caulker
- Walked with LIONS and CHEETAHS!!
- Saw a real Maya skeleton inside a cave in Belize
- Went diving in the Blue Hole
- Slept at a Bedouin camp at Wadi Rum
- Visited Petra at Night
- Went to Hell… mwahaha
- Saw the sunrise at Angkor Wat
- Celebrated my birthday surrounded with dead people
- Went jumping off swing ropes with the Maasai
- Enjoyed the thin beaches at Koh Nang Yuan
- Was somehow “rescued” from my misery in Uganda
- Did a road trip across the Himalayas!!
- Got assaulted at knifepoint in Fes, Morocco
- Got held at gunpoint in Kyrgyzstan
- Did the Mongol Rally!
- Had a car accident in Russia
- Got lost in the Gobi Desert
- Was beyond impressed by Bagan, Myanmar
- Reached the milestone of 1,000 days traveling!
- Went to Easter Island!
- Went to Galapagos!
- Survived Death Road
- and much more I’m still looking forward to writing…