The peculiar Old Town Bridge, formally known as Gamle Bybro, crosses the Nidelva River and leads from main Trondheim into Bakklandet and the Kristiansten Fortress.
The bridge was built by Johan Caspar von Cicignon in 1681, following the reconstruction of Trondheim after the great fire of 1681 and its location was mainly a strategic military access between Trondheim and the Kristiansten Fortress. It remained a guarded city gate until 1816.
The Gamle Bybro was originally constructed of wood, but the bridge and gates we see today are a reconstruction by Carl Adolf Dahl (1861), the executive municipal engineer in charge of public buildings and works in the last half of the 19th century. Originally, it also had a sentry and excise house at either end of the bridge. The sentry was demolished in 1824, but the excise house on the west side is still standing and is now used as a day-care center.
While small in size, compared to other great structures in Trondheim, the carved gates of the Gamle Bybro Bridge have become Trondheim’s distinctive hallmark, and one that should not be missed while in the city.
Stroll along the wooden walkway to admire the artistry of the gates and enjoy the beautiful views of the fortress and the colorful wooden buildings at Bakklandet.