From the breathtaking Andes Mountains in South America to the bustling cities of Europe, there are plenty of destinations for you to discover. However, one thing you don’t want to worry about is your valuables and how you might carry them during your travels.
So when you’re hiking or doing any form of traveling, it’s essential you have the most comfortable bag around. Osprey has emerged as one of the finest backpack providers in the World. But how good are Osprey Backpacks?
In this honest review, you’ll learn about the best backpacks around, from comfortable hiking backpacks to convenient hydration packs for cyclists.
With this in-depth guide, you’ll know how to choose the right backpack for your ultimate journey around the globe.
The list is divided into two main sections. The first one lists five great Osprey backpacks for travel, while the second lists five excellent Osprey backpacks for hiking, camping, and backpacking.
The Top Osprey Travel Backpacks
For convenience and reassurance, here are the best Osprey packs for any form of travel. These can be from short hikes, to weekend trips, and anything in between.
It’s important to note is that backpack sizes are described in liters, which is the volume capacity you can carry in the backpack as measured in liters. For example, an Osprey 26 has a 26 liters capacity.
Osprey Transporter Wheeled Carry-On Luggage
- Lock-friendly zippers for extra security.
- A padded laptop sleeve with a hidden RFID pocket.
- While fairly sturdy, wheels can break if the product is used roughly.
- A lack of several access points.
The Osprey Transporter 40 is a fantastic option if you’re looking for a compact travel backpack that frees your shoulders of extra weight. It’s perfect for flights, as it meets most airline carry-on regulations.
While compact, bag has a 40 liters capacity and comes with many handy sections, such as toiletries and back-panel pockets. With features like internal compression panels and mesh pockets, you can squeeze any extra items.
The Transporter also comes in 60, 90, and 120 liters, though those bigger backpacks are no longer carry-on sizes.
Osprey Farpoint 55 Men’s Travel Backpack
- Slash pocket for phones and glasses.
- Internal compression straps for extra strength.
- Little interior padding for devices.
- It’s too large to use as carry-on baggage.
The Osprey Farpoint 55 backpack is one of the best multi-functional travel packs for men. With more than enough space, you can fit up to 50 pounds of luggage in the main compartment and detachable daypack.
An adjustable stowaway hip belt helps support your back and ensures your bag is safe from potential theft. Although the detachable daypack is slightly flimsy, the main compartment has lockable sliders to keep everything secure.
The Farpoint also comes in 40, 70, and 80 liters in the travel style and 75 liters in the trekking style.
Osprey Fairview 40 Women’s Travel Backpack
- It’s carry-on compatible.
- Extra padded shoulder straps.
- It’s top-heavy when fully packed.
- The laptop sleeve has no protective padding.
The Osprey Fairview 40 has a spacious internal compartment where you can fit just about everything for your trip. Although there is no detachable daypack, external compression straps and a stowaway hip belt keep the pack snug to your body.
There is also a padded shoulder strap for an alternate carry option. With a specific female fit, this is one of the best Osprey women’s backpacks.
The Fairview also comes in 50, 55, and 70 liters capacity if you’re looking to carry more for longer trips.
Osprey Daylite Daypack
- It can attach to a variety of Osprey packs.
- A comfortable back panel.
- Not a lot of interior space if you’re looking to carry a lot.
- The shoulder strap adjustments are limited.
With only 13 liters capacity, the Osprey Daylite Daypack is a fantastic option if you want a lightweight, durable bag that can attach to other Osprey packs.
The front pocket has great organization compartments, while the main pouch can accommodate laptops, books, and much more.
You can save some space in the bag by using the water bottle pockets. It’s made with recycled materials and has extra safety thanks to the waist strap, making this one of the best Osprey daypacks.
It’s also worth mentioning that the Osprey Daylite family comes with a variety of products that include a waist bag, sling, tote bag, duffel, kids bag, and more.
Osprey Airporter Backpack Travel Cover
- It provides extra protection for your luggage.
- It folds into a small pouch for easy transportation.
- It comes in three sizes: small, medium, large.
- It only accommodates bags under 50 pounds.
- The shoulder strap is excessively long.
The Osprey Airporter is the perfect way to keep all your valuables safe during flights or any other form of transportation. With large lockable zippers, you can calmly travel knowing everything is secure. And let’s not forget the bag is also water resistant.
The side-carry handle, top handle, and shoulder strap mean you have a variety of ways to carry the bag.
The Ultimate Osprey Backpacking Backpacks (and Hiking Backpacks too!)
From travel to the outdoors, here are the best Osprey backpacking packs for all adventurers.
Osprey Hikelite 26
- Integrated rain cover sleeve.
- An internal hydration pack.
- Shoulder straps are restricting for people with wide frames.
- The water bottle pouch doesn’t work well.
For one of the best lightweight backpacks, the Osprey Hikelite 26 is an ideal option. In addition to 26 liters, it also comes in 18 liters and 32 liters, should you wish to opt for a small or bigger hiking backpack.
It’s a comfortable bag as the trampoline back maintains airflow, and the internal scratch-resistant pocket is perfect for glasses or devices.
Although the side mesh pockets are not ideal for water bottles, you’ll have access to a 3-liter internal hydration sleeve. The trekking pole attachments and a sternum strap with a whistle make this the best lightweight bag for short hikes.
Osprey Talon Pro 20 Men’s Hiking Backpack
- Lidlock helmet attachment.
- Two zippered hip-belt pockets for smaller equipment.
- No attached raincover sleeve.
- It can carry a maximum weight of 20 pounds. (unless you go with the bigger model)
The Osprey Talon Pro 20 is a fantastic pack designed to accommodate a male frame. It also comes in 30 liters.
The extendable straps and wide frame mean this Osprey hiking backpack can fit anyone comfortably, and the Airscape back panel maintains airflow behind your back.
The backpack has fantastic features, such as an external hydration sleeve, shoulder strap pockets for devices, and deep water bottle pockets.
The tuck-away ice ax attachment and side compression straps mean you can fit everything in one comfortable backpack for every adventure.
Osprey Sirrus 24 Women’s Hiking Backpack
- Integrated rain cover sleeve.
- Trekking pole and ice tool loop attachments.
- Limited to a weight of 25 pounds. (unless you go with a bigger model)
- Not ideal for taller people as it can sit awkwardly on the back.
If you’re looking for a comfortable backpack that ticks all the boxes for a day hike, then the Osprey Sirrus 24 is the ideal pick. There are unique features like the hip belt pockets and top panel stash pockets for smaller items you may need on the go.
The airflow back panel is adjustable according to your torso length, and the waist straps allow for a snug fit. Although there is no hydration bladder, the pack does come with a hydration sleeve for a bladder of up to 3 liters.
The Sirrus also comes in 34, 36, and 44 liters should you be looking for a bigger backpack for longer hikes or backpacking.
Osprey Raptor 10 Men’s Bike Hydration Backpack
- Lidlock helmet attachment.
- Stores up to 2.5 liters of liquids in the hydraulic reservoir.
- No integrated raincover.
- The water hose is short.
The Osprey Raptor 10 is one of the leading backpacks for cyclists and marathon runners due to its compact size and ability to carry plenty of water. It also comes in a slightly bigger 14 liters model.
Some of the top features include the removable roll-up tool pouch, which can securely hold plenty of biking essentials.
The hip belt pockets are perfect for keeping snacks nearby, and the airflow system means there’s plenty of back ventilation. Although the water hose is slightly shorter than it can be, the bag has handy blinker light attachments and reflective material.
Osprey Kitsuma 7 Women’s Bike Hydration Backpack
- Blinker light attachments.
- Bike tool organization compartment.
- No lidlock helmet attachment.
- Limited to a maximum capacity of 7 pounds.
The Osprey Kitsuma 7 is the ideal cycling, hiking, and daypack if you’re an adrenaline junkie seeking a compact bag. The 2.5-liter hydraulics hydration pack is perfect, and the stretch mesh side pockets mean you can store small items conveniently.
Although there is limited space, this compact bag adjusts to just about every body type, and the Airscape back panel maintains airflow around the back.
It also comes in 3 and 1.5 liters capacity.
What to Look for in Osprey Bags: A Buyer’s Guide
Here are some handy tips to keep in mind when picking out your Osprey backpack.
The bag you choose for your adventures honestly depends on your plans. If you intend to cycle, you’ll need a different bag from a hiking bag. Here are the styles and what travel they are best for:
- Wheeled Bags – These are ideal for flight and intercity travel. They are best for regions with well-paved, smooth flooring.
- Hiking Bags – As you can imagine, these bags are best for hiking and most forms of trekking. These are often lightweight bags that can carry up to 70 pounds.
- Hydration Bags – These are best used for mountaineering or cycling as it’s a convenient way to carry water with you.
- Sling Pack – These lightweight bags rest on your back over one shoulder. They are ideal for short hikes and mini excursions.
There’s nothing worse than having to dig in your bag looking for gear and supplies. For this reason, I recommend getting a bag with convenient side and front pockets for smaller supplies and one larger body pocket for larger equipment.
Depending on where you plan to travel and the conditions you intend to journey through, you’ll want a bag that has some waterproof features.
Several bags have a light waterproof lining inside. But to keep the outside dry, you’ll want the Osprey Ultralight Packliner.
Extra pockets are always helpful, but also consider other features you may need the bag to have. For example, a laptop section is useful if working while enjoying an unconventional life of travel.
My Final Thoughts on Osprey’s Best Backpacks
With these Osprey backpacks review in hand, you’ll be able to find the best pack for your every need. Whether you are an avid adventurer or a digital nomad, Osprey has a wide variety of backpacks that suit just about everyone.
Now that you know the pros and cons of each bag and what to expect – look at this recommended travel gear list, so you’re packed and ready for your next journey.
LET ME HELP YOU TRAVEL MORE BY GETTING ADDITIONAL TIPS AND INSPIRATION VIA THE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER.
Plus, receive a short e-book with 15 Beginner Tips and Tricks to Start Travel Hacking!