Hitchhiking is a travel method widely used in many countries around the world. Not only does it save you money even if you get a cheap flight, it also enables them to meet new people and potentially make new friends. However, hitchhiking is not without its concerns and downsides. Aside from the uncertainty of getting a ride at a specific time, people who use this travel method can get into uncomfortable or sometimes dangerous situations. To lessen the downsides of hitchhiking, one must have some travel essentials for better chances of travel success.
- Bring only the bare minimum. It is important for hitchhikers to bring as little as possible with them. Since traveling on foot is part of the traveling process, backpacks with light load will not become a deterrent while walking miles on end.
- Buy a map. A map is an essential item for any form of traveler. This practical travel article will easily help you pin point the direction you plan heading to and would refrain you from spending wasted hours traveling in the wrong direction. Some maps are more detailed than others are, and it can even determine which waiting spots are the most ideal for hitchhikers to catch a ride.
- Keep a sleeping bag handy. It is inevitable for hitchhikers to travel into the night. It is important for travelers to refrain in hitchhiking at night however. Not only will drivers have difficulty in seeing your location clearly, you are more exposed to being run over by a vehicle. Seek the nearest possible shelter and bring out your sleeping bag to give you a bit of comfort while getting some rest for the next day’s adventure.
- Bring a raincoat. The weather is very unpredictable. It may be sunny and warm at one moment and raining the next. To avoid getting wet while waiting for a ride on the side of the road, always keep a raincoat or any waterproof clothing handy in your luggage. Waterproof clothing can also keep you warm when traveling in colder climates.
- Keep food and water rations. When walking long distances or while waiting for a ride at the side of the road, there will be occasions wherein there will be no gas station or commercial establishment in sight. Water and nutritional food snacks will help fuel your body as you get to your next destination. Hitchhiking on a constant empty stomach and without water is simply an accident waiting to happen.
- Keep a cardboard sign and black pen marker in your luggage. Drivers only have a few seconds to determine whether a person on the side of the road is requesting for a free ride. In order to improve your chances in being noticed, it is wise to have a piece of cardboard and a black marker to make a sign to determine where you are heading to. With this sign, drivers will be able to notice you immediately and will stop over if they are headed the same way.
With these essential travel items, hitchhike traveling will have better chances of success. At the end of the day however, it is important to keep your guard at all times in order to be safe when traveling in this manner.